Just for fun, I’m making a steampunk top hat this holiday break and wanted to share it with YOU! Here are the steps of the hat making. I’m not done yet so more steps and pictures will come again soon.
1. Get a top hat template online. Choose one with a cool tutorial video like this:
2. Measure your head to get the right hat size
3. Cut out the pattern to be the right size
4. Trace your patterns on a yoga mat (I used a camping mat -worked great but the pattern had to be adjusted due to the thickness)
5. Cut them out with a VERY sharp knife (if you are a kid like me, get your Mom or Dad to help you)
6. Glue the pieces together with contact cement (NOT Rubber Cement) to create the top hat (the pattern will tell you how they fit together)
7. While my camping mat did not require the hairdryer trick in the video to bend the brim, you may need this step if you use another type of foam for the base of the hat
8. Cut craft foam into squares, rectangles, and other shapes and glue to the top hat with contact cement
Here is a picture of my project so far….
Next steps will have to wait until next time… I’m too tired to keep working on this tonight.
6 thoughts on “How to make a STEAMPUNK TOP HAT”
That looks as if it would be a lot of work, but also, a lot of fun! I would love to see your tophats someday! I really enjoyed reading about it!
Thank you for commenting on my blog Professor A. Should I bring the finished top hat to your office on Saturday? If so, what time?
Ms. Chloe – I am so glad to see your top hat in the works. I would love to help you work on goggles to go with it, using Neopixel Rings! See Steam Punk Goggles
Robin, I’m already making goggles, but if you could help me add the lights, that would be awesome!
– Chloe 🙂
Looking forward to seeing this project develop!
Thank you Sue! I’m having a lot of fun doing it! I’m happy you like it!
– Chloe 🙂